Subscribe To The Chronicles Of Renard

February 8, 2017

I Am Keeping It Linux All The Way!

Tux; the Linux Mascot
Tux; the Linux Mascot
(Photo credit: Pixabay) 
I remembered the days when I used the Windows operating system on my computer; it was fun to use at first, but it became a bit buggy as time went along.

Hey, those of us who have ever used Windows (or are still using Windows) would know that it works fabulously at first.

Then, a few months down the road, you encounter some technical hiccups such as malware.

Back in my days of using Windows, I encountered a few viruses and I was surprised at the vast amount of spyware that was on my computer (I guess that happened when I downloaded lots of free software).

And, there was the occasional adware that was rather hard to eradicate.

Although Windows is a good operating system, it requires a lot of extra care and attention and one needs to be tech savvy in order to seal the proverbial back doors shut.

Now, if you are not the tech savvy type of person, the best thing you can do is to invest your money into an excellent antivirus program (And, the biggest irony is, that viruses have a way of finding their way through the defences of the best antivirus programs on the market).

Believe it or not, the majority of the malware that is in cyberspace today is, targeted towards all Windows operating systems.

Why?

The answer is a simple one: it is the most used operating system on the planet (Microsoft saw to that).

And, I grew tired of malware!

Microsoft Kept Harassing Me To Upgrade To Windows 10


Back in 2016, I had Windows 7 installed on my computer (I chose Windows 7 at the time because I messed up Windows 8 and I had no intentions of reinstalling it on my computer).

Windows 7 worked beautifully.

But, I did not like the idea of Microsoft collecting all of the data on me via their unscrupulous updates.

And, let us not forget, that for the launching of Windows 10, Microsoft wanted their Windows users to upgrade to Windows 10.

A lot of technology enthusiasts claimed that Windows 10 was the ultimate spyware and that Microsoft knew everything that you had on your computer (Which is kind of creepy when you think about it).

"Why would anyone in their right frame of mind willfully choose to install spyware on their computer?" I said to myself.

And, the truth is, that no one would!

Big brother was watching me closely and it was time for me to draw the blinds.


Too Many People Love Pirated Software


For starters, pirated software is illegal.

And, a lot of people are using pirated versions of Windows on their computer.

Now, why should you break the law by using pirated software when you can download Linux for free and legally?

In most cases, pirated software usually contain bugs and you risk infecting your computer with malware and getting yourself hacked.

Stop using pirated versions of Windows!

Do the right thing by purchasing a licenced version of Windows, or downloading Linux and installing it on your computer (I would go for Linux any day).


I Made The Decision To Jump On The Linux Bandwagon


I was pleased to know that Linux was open source; it was free to use and it did not require a license.

And, the best part being, that it was way more secure than Windows.

So, I did some research with the intentions of finding out which distribution of Linux was most suitable for me.

My first experience with Linux was with Ubuntu; it was not bad, but I realised that I hated the way it loaded up and wanted to try another distribution of Linux that booted quickly.

Then, I found Linux Mint; it worked well on my computer.

Although I tried other distributions of Linux, I always returned to using Linux Mint (For me, it is very user-friendly and it is very clean-looking).

I think that I am one of the most contented Linux Mint users on the planet and I always boast about this distribution of Linux to my friends (Hopefully, they will ditch Windows and give Linux a try).

The truth is, that since I installed Linux, I stopped experiencing software issues; my computer currently works better than when I had the Windows operating system installed on it.

I no longer have to call the technician to book an appointment for him to fix software issues.

So, in my case, I am better off using Linux.

Those of you who would like to know what makes Linux so fascinating, I highly recommend that you check out: Why Is Linux So Great? Because It Is Open Source! By Danny Stieben.

I Am Eager To Get A New Laptop Computer


I am thinking about purchasing a brand new computer to put Linux on.

Now, for the record, I am fully aware of the fact, that I can get a laptop computer that comes preinstalled with Linux. However, most of those laptops usually come with Ubuntu and I love Linux Mint (Besides, I enjoy the process of installing Linux on my computer for myself).

In The Republic of Trinidad and Tobago (which is where I live) the majority of computers come with the Windows operating system preinstalled; I am more than willing to nuke that operating system and install Linux Mint.

Now, I also know, that the Windows license fee is included in the cost of the computer, but I would not mind paying that fee (I am mainly interested in the hardware that the computer comes with and not the software).

And, speaking of hardware, there are various versions of Linux that are compatible with certain hardware (I merely have to do the research to find out which distribution of Linux is the most suitable one).

Wrapping Up


Linux might not be for everyone; but, you would not know if you will like it if you fail to dabble with it.

I would admit, that you would be jumping into an environment that is quite alien; but it is possible to familiarise yourself with your chosen distribution of Linux.

After all, when you first started using Windows, it took a while for you to get accustomed to it.

Therefore, Linux is no different!

Also, any computer user would like an operating system that is free and that can be customised to their heart's content.

In my case, I am truly pleased with Linux and there is no returning to the Windows operating system.

I also hope that you would be brave enough to give it a try.

You do not have to do like me and get rid of Windows entirely.

You can install Linux on one of your older computers and if you do not like it, you can return to Windows.

Follow by Email

Thank You For Following!